Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wupatki, Sunset Crater, and Walnut Canyon

Next day we had 3 more smaller parks to do in Northern AZ. These had a little more mileage, but not many more routes. We finished all 3 of them by about 2pm. Felt pretty good to get 5 parks done in 2 days.

Wapatki and Walnut Canyon are similar to Montezuma and Tuzigoot as they were ancient ruins of peoples who used to live in the area around 1200 to 1300 A.D. We were able to tour one of the ruins a little bit, but for the most part we were focused on the finish line for this trip.

Sunset Crater is the youngest volcano of the Colorado Plateau. It erupted sometime between 1040 and 1100 and still has the lava flows to prove it.

Here's a map of our drive...


View Larger Map

I think I took some pics, but I was driving; so I don't think I got that many.

This is a pueblo at Wupatki...
These are some workers putting some silicon on the edge of the ledge. I guess it helps keep water out of the dwellings and further deteriorating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment